Radon in your home? Something you should check for?

A recent article in the Star Tribune was headlined Minnesota homes have become hotbed for radioactive gas”.  “Become hotbed” makes it sound as if this is something new. Actually, Minnesota has always had a plentiful supply of radon, it just hasn’t been given the notoriety it deserves. This is one of those situations where “what you don’t know can kill you.”

What is radon? Why is it bad for you? The Minnesota Board of Health describes radon as a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that seeps up from the earth. When inhaled, it gives off radioactive particles that can damage the cells that line the lung. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer.

The Minnesota Board of Health estimates “that one in three homes has radon levels that pose a significant health risk, and nearly 80% of counties are rated high radon zones.”

How can you check the radon level in your home? You can start by reading the two articles linked below:

Minnesota Department of Health Radon in Minnesota Homes

Minnesota homes have become hotbed for radioactive gas

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s